Student Assistant - CAST Academic Coach
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Description: Academic Coaches provide one on one and or group support to different cohorts of students at the University. Cohorts may include students on probation or suspension, students struggling with the transition from high school to college, or students who may be facing other barriers to be successful college students. The academic coach will engage in outreach activities to encourage students to attend coaching appointments and will follow-up with students after their appointments to ensure that they are following through on the action plans that they created together. Typical activities include identifying and troubleshooting problems and obstacles to success, and making referrals as needed for tutoring, advising, and other campus resources. The coach takes an active role in listening to students and resolving issues students encounter.
Academic coaches receive training on effective techniques, learning strategies, teamwork, multi-cultural awareness and communication, as well as supervision. Upon completion of the tutor training, academic coaches receive College Reading and Learning Association/International Tutor Program certifications along with the National Tutoring Association.
● A student who has earned at least 90 credits and has a 3.00 GPA or higher.
● Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
● Great organization skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities.
● Flexibility and willingness to accept additional tasks as needed.
● Bachelor’s degree.
● Strong presentation and communication skills.
● Familiarity with campus resources and technologies.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Completes CAST annual Coaching Training Orientation. Attends other webinars, supplemental training and conferences as part of the tutor certification requirements.
2. Studies academic and learning techniques.
3. Attends at least 2 CAST skill-based workshops to ensure an understanding of the skills teaching.
4. Meets with individual students to work on specific skill based practices in person or in an online setting.
5. Acts as a mentor for students to connect them with proper contacts or resources throughout campus based on need.
6. Follows up with students to ensure connection with referrals and resolution of issues.
7. Offers advice to students on appropriate study strategies and effective learning techniques students’ description of concerns.
8. Assists students in outlining studying processes and weekly schedules.
9. Maintains satisfactory performance and adheres to CAST policies as well as coaching rules and regulations.
10. Helps create and assist in facilitating at least 1 workshop a semester
11. Monitors and assists students in study hall hours as needed.
12. Use scheduled hours not meeting with students to review content for coaching sessions.
13. Attends evaluation/consultation meetings with supervisor; complies with scheduled observation
procedures during tutoring sessions as required.
14. Maintains accurate report records: follows up on student students cases, submits information on students assisted, registers visits including dates, times, length of sessions, course name and content covered.
15. Assists with the development of promotional materials and marketing activities at campus events.
16. Performs other duties as required.
● Hours Per Week: minimum of 6 hours
● Rate: $18
● Appointment Begins: September 1st, 2022
● To apply, please submit your application in Handshake