Red Hawks Rising Success Coach
8 hours a week for one class, 16 hours for 2 classes
$20 an hour
At least 60 credits
Work in Newark Public Schools
Field of Education
Working from Jan 12, 2023- May 21, 2023
Under the direction of the Director for Tutoring, Supplemental Instruction and Academic Coaching at Montclair State University, the Red Hawks Rising Success Coach works in an academic coach and content tutoring capacity for high school students enrolled in the Red Hawks Rising Dual Enrollment Program. High school students will take college classes within the Newark school system. Success Coaches will attend courses taught by Montclair State University faculty at an offsite location in the Newark Public Schools. Coaches will host study hours for students immediately following their classes to review content and build academic success skills in college coursework. Red Hawks Rising Success Coaches will represent the Center for Academic Success and Tutoring and Montclair State University within the school system and support the facilitation of student learning.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Facilitate Weekly Academic Coaching Modules in topics such as:
● Understanding School Systems (Canvas, Email)
● Professional Communication
● Understanding a Syllabus
● Time Management
● Problem Solving
● Presentation Skills
Course Content Support focused on (subject to change):
Senior Classes: SASE 210: Public Purposes of Education and WRIT106: College Writing II
Junior Classes: PSYC 101: Introduction to Psychology and ANTH100: Cultural Anthropology
Activities includes reinforcement of:
● Citation styles
● College writing
● Class content review
● Assist students in review for exams
● Reteach material when students struggle
● Support students’ work in the completion of assignments
● Provide content area literacy where missing- defining terms, decoding, reading comprehension, critical thinking
1. Completes CAST annual Coaching Training Orientation. Attends supplemental training and staff meetings and check-ins as part of the tutor requirements.
2. Attends classroom lectures and assists in learning experience.
3. Conducts small group support in academic coaching topics
4. Assists students with academic understanding and course progression to supplement classroom learning.
5. Acts as a coach/mentor for students and offers students advice on appropriate study strategies and effective learning techniques.
6. Manage the questions and learning needs of a classroom of high school students during their study hour.
7. Maintains satisfactory performance and adheres to CAST policies as well as tutoring ethical principles.
8. Attends check in/evaluation meetings with CAST Coordinator; complies with scheduled observation procedures during tutoring sessions as required.
9. Maintains accurate attendance records: records attendance, and submits daily reports summarizing student sessions, registers visits including dates, times, length of sessions, course name and content covered.
10. Performs other duties as required.
Red Hawks Rising coaches receive training on effective tutoring techniques, learning strategies, teamwork, multi-cultural awareness and communication, as well as supervision. Upon completion of the tutor training, Red Hawks Rising coaches receive College Reading and Learning Association/National Tutor Association certifications.
● Must be available Monday/Wednesdays 1:00-4:00pm and/or Tuesday/Thursdays 1:00-4:00pm, Fridays 1-3pm January 12th, 2023 to May 21, 2023, with additional paid training days in early January and additional debriefing dates in May TBA.
● Must have your own transportation to schools
● Group facilitation and leadership skills
● 3.0 GPA minimum
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
● Experience with English Language Learners
● Bachelor’s Degree and/or experience in the classes listed above or equivalent course work.
● Interest in education
● Classroom or tutoring experience at the high school level
● Presentation skills
● Classroom management skills